Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Here Comes Santa Claus!

WOW. PERIOD.

That just about sums up the class we hosted with Bronwen Weber last Sunday. She and her crew came and taught the 3D Standing Santa to 34 very eager students. They brought all the supplies and tools; all we had to do was show up. And each and every one of us left with a completed Santa cake. Very cool.


Bronwen and her assistants Heather and Francois (who is also her new hubby). All 3 of them were super nice, fun and helpful. Bronwen is total kick in the pants fun. Very positive, encouraging, relaxed and a great teacher.


The Santa starts with a skeleton of PVC piping screwed into the base board. Arms and legs are formed with modeling chocolate.


We all went up to her demo table to see each technique and then went back to our seats to do it ourselves. We had immediate assistance if we needed it.


Wendy and I were goofing off here. Santa's belly is cake supported by an acrylic plate.


Students busy at work.


A little army of Santas in the making.



Wendy kneading her fondant.


Working on my guy's coat. Of all the techniques, I found the coat pieces to be the hardest to do .


Silly girls.



Bronwen showed us 2 ways to do the face. The one on the left would be the sculpted realistic face, but it is not complete. In addition, his mouth is all messed up from Bronwen getting goofy with him , but you get the general idea. The one on the right is the more cartoonish, and easier face, as there is no real sculpting involved. I chose the easier one, mostly because I wanted the cartoonish face for the kids, but I would like to try the sculpted face one day.


This is Bronwen's Santa, with just the trim on his hat brim missing. Awesome huh?


Me, Bronwen, and my Santa. He is still wet from his vodka bath in this photo.


My Santa before his vodka bath. I still have to do a few finishing trim touches to him , and when I do, I will post some good shots of him.



I think he looks cute! I was thrilled with my cake. I never thought I could make a cake like this. I learned so many great new techniques I can apply to other cakes. It was a fabulous class and we will be hosting her here back again next year.

Gotta give a shout out to my hubby for getting us the big conference room at his place of work. Thanks Hun! And thank you to all of the students who attended and made it a great success!



Deedra's Santa flew coach home! She said everyone on the plane went nuts over him and the pilot took a picture of him!

If you guys ever get a chance to take class with her, do it. Just do it.


Happy Holiday Caking Ya'll!

Sharon
http://www.sugaredproductions.com/

14 comments:

Snooky doodle said...

wow this is awesome :) the Santa is so cute. I wish I knew how to make it. pity all these interesting classes are made so far away :) In Malta there are not much sugarcraft courses. Did you use the Vodka bath to remove any traces of icing sugar ? Do you use regular vodka ?

Heidi said...

Amazing! Good job on the Santa. I wish there were classes around here. Maybe someday. Or maybe I'll move.

Anonymous said...

That is way cool! Love how your turned out. I think I like the cartoonish face best. Don't want to eat something that looks too real :D! And I know this is a family blog but Bronwen's new hubby-dayum!

Mata Family said...

Awesome job! Love Santa's expression- too cute! Hey0 don't you need to make a Mrs. Clause now?? :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm back! New to blogging and ended up having to delete and start over (i need a how-to book)!
I love the Santa!!! May have to check these classes out! This one looks too advanced for me tho - maybe one day......

SugarEd Productions said...

Thanks ya'll! Snooky yes, regular vodka sprayed on to get the residue off. Francois is a cutie! Mata, Wendy is trying to get me to do Mrs Claus too! I do have another stand. we will see.......

Frank said...

That is one cool cake! Thanks for posting!

Mwah!

Jacque said...

Oh how fun! Your Santa looks fantastic and perfect. Geez, you could use this technique for so many different cake designs. What a great class. Glad you had fun and learned lots.

Ann (Miss Sweetstory) said...

It's great to know that someone with your incredible talent takes classes too! beautiful work!

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! Amazing job!!! (And your photos were so funny... )

SharonG said...

WOW!WOW!WOW! You all had a blast from looking at the photos. Love the look on your face, where you are about to let Santa have it lol.

Your Santa is really cute and you did a wonderful job on him. It's nice to see you had a fun time and a great turn out. Browen and her crew sound very nice and fun to be with! PLEASEEEE, do the Mrs. Claus!, would love to see it.

Anonymous said...

What great pictures you posted! Looks like you and everyone else had a great time. I enjoyed the class I took with them, so I knew yours would be lots of fun. Your santa came out adorable....and I agree he needs his Mrs!!! I MUST come to the next one that you host! I was soooo sad not to be there.

My Sweet & Saucy said...

What a fun class! I took a 3D class from Bronwen last year too and I had such a great time!

Anonymous said...

Sharon, I would love to be on the mailing list for the notification for next year's class with Bronwen. I'm signed up to get emails from you. Will that get me a notification or do I need to be signed up somewhere else. Thanks for posting the great picks. I've been in numerous classes with Susan Carberry who loves to do fun & wacky stuff like this and we always have a blast. I'm sure Bronwen is a hoot as well.