Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Daring Bakers: Tuiles


After missing two Daring Bakers challenges during the holidays I needed to put up or shut up this month. One more miss and I would have been kicked out! LOL. Luckily this one was pretty easy and not too time consuming, as once again I am pressed for time. Ain't I always? Aren't we all?



This month's project was tuiles. Tuiles? What the heck is tuile? I thought it was that meshy fabric you made bows out of for the pews at weddings. Shows how much of a baking sophisticate I am. Not.

Traditionally, tuiles are thin, crisp almond cookies that are gently molded over a rolling pin or arched form while they are still warm. Once set, their shape resembles the curved French roofing tiles for which they're named.



This month's challenge is brought to us by Karen of Bake My Day and Zorra of 1x umruehren bitte aka Kochtopf. They have chosen Tuiles from The Chocolate Book by Angélique Schmeink and Nougatine and Chocolate Tuiles from Michel Roux.


Recipe:


Preparation time batter 10 minutes, waiting time 30 minutes, baking time: 5-10 minutes per batch


65 grams / ¼ cup / 2.3 ounces softened butter (not melted but soft)

60 grams / ½ cup / 2.1 ounces sifted confectioner’s sugar

1 sachet vanilla sugar (7 grams or substitute with a dash of vanilla extract)

2 large egg whites (slightly whisked with a fork)

65 grams / 1/2 cup / 2.3 ounces sifted all purpose flour

1 table spoon cocoa powder/or food coloring of choice

Butter/spray to grease baking sheet



Oven: 180C / 350F

Using a hand whisk or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle (low speed) and cream butter, sugar and vanilla to a paste. Keep stirring while you gradually add the egg whites. Continue to add the flour in small batches and stir to achieve a homogeneous and smooth batter/paste. Be careful to not over mix.Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to firm up. (This batter will keep in the fridge for up to a week, take it out 30 minutes before you plan to use it).Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease with either butter/spray and chill in the fridge for at least 15 minutes. This will help spread the batter more easily if using a stencil/cardboard template such as the butterfly. Press the stencil on the baking sheet and use an off sided spatula to spread batter. Leave some room in between your shapes. Mix a small part of the batter with the cocoa and a few drops of warm water until evenly colored. Use this colored batter in a paper piping bag and proceed to pipe decorations on the wings and body of the butterfly.Bake butterflies in a preheated oven (180C/350F) for about 5-10 minutes or until the edges turn golden brown. Immediately release from baking sheet and proceed to shape/bend the cookies in the desired shape.


These cookies have to be shaped when still warm, you might want to bake a small amount at a time or maybe put them in the oven to warm them up again. Or: place a baking sheet toward the front of the warm oven, leaving the door half open. The warmth will keep the cookies malleable.If you don’t want to do stencil shapes, you might want to transfer the batter into a piping bag fitted with a small plain tip. Pipe the desired shapes and bake. Shape immediately after baking using for instance a rolling pin, a broom handle, cups, cones….



I chose the regular flavor tuile and served them on pistachinilla mousse with specialty cream. ( AKA I screwed up the boxed pistachio mouse by adding too much liquid and had to add a box of vanilla Jello pudding to make it set up. And while I am confessing, that specialty cream is Cool Whip.) I know. I know. I am such a cheater.





But hey, in my own defense, I have a wedding order this week, am working furiously to get the Boxes and Bows DVD ready, and my chronic reflux is flared up bad. Had to set my priorities and I figured the wedding cake and getting the DVD to you guys was more important than home made mousse. Yeah. That sounds good. I'm sticking with that story.



J said the cookies looked like the flowers in Bikini Bottom on Sponge Bob. He is right! They are a delightfully thin, light , not too sweet cookie. Perfect with mouse, pudding, sorbet ice cream or a spot o tea. Easy and fast too, and fun to shape while they are warm. Give them a try!

____________________________________



Speaking of reflux, I have not had a Diet Coke in about 6 weeks and I feel like this:


J had a close encounter with the hair dryer. He is such a goofball. Gawd I love that kid.



I will try to post early next week before I go to the Owensboro class (still have openings, hint hint). If I don't, I will surely check back in early the following week. If all goes well, Boxes and Bows will ship that week too!


Happy Cooky-ing,
Sharon
http://www.sugaredproductions.com/

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

aww sweet little flower, great pairing with pistachios:)

Jo said...

Very pretty, love the flower shapes and great pairing. I did one with pistachios as well, great combi.

Heather said...

How pretty!! I bet Paul loved it!

Snooky doodle said...

Great tuiles! I like the flower shape :)

Unknown said...

Did you make your own stencil? It is so cute!

SugarEd Productions said...

Thanks ya'll!

No jenny it was a plastic fower stencil from Michael's.

chef_d said...

Oh so pretty!!

Mata Family said...

Looks great!! Love the picture of J!!

You've been busy lately...you need to kick back and put your feet up girl!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

So pretty! A great combo!

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

Those flowers are so adorable! They remind me of a fun and funky font winding!

Jacque said...

Oh, those are so darn cute! I'm totally seeing Bikini Bottom flowers, like J. And I'm with you on the cool whip... seriously, I NEVER make home made whipped cream. Too much work!

You had asked how I made my purple thingy on top of my tuile mousse. It was made with tuile batter as well, although I'm not sure I'd try that again. The thin, piped tuiles broke unmercifully.

Your cakes are all wonderful.. so perfect!