Friday, October 31, 2008

Trick or Treat!


Happy Halloween everyone!



Hope you have a wonderful day with your kids and families. Don't get sick eating too much of their candy like I always do!

My sister Barbara, who has never decorated a cake in her life, came over for me to help her make a cake for her office Halloween goody contest. She has been a huge help to me with SugarEd over the last year, and has come with me to several of my demos and vendor shows, so she has been exposed to a lot this last year. (Some of you have met her! I also have another fabulous sister that you will meet later on.) She baked the cake herself and brought it over. I showed her how to do each technique (basically off the cake) and then she did the rest herself. She was quite a quick learner. She colored and rolled out the fondant, applied it (I helped her smooth one side while she did the other in the interest of drying out time.) She airbrushed it, made her own leaves and stem, piped the grass, and made the words. I helped her just a little bit with the face and spider.

We used 2 bundt cakes and spackled the seam with stiffened buttercream. Cream cheese filling was piped down into the center hole and a circle of cardboard sits on the top to support the stem.

Here is Barbara airbrushing her masterpiece. Do you dig the fancy taped up towels?


Piping the grass.


Finished!

Hers came out better than mine! And she won first place too! I am so proud, congrats Barb!



I also want to share with you the cookies I did yesterday for my bestest client.


All flooded with royal icing and candy eyes.


These were huge! The web was about 6 inches across.


The big bats are royal icing stenciled onto royal.


Pumpkins are royal stenciled on royal, ghosts are royal with fondant face.


Fondant face on airbrushed royal icing.

These were my favorite! They make me giggle.




Have a nice night everyone; have fun and stay safe!


Sharon

17 comments:

Mata Family said...

Wow- your sister did AWESOME!! She had a great teacher! Love those cookies! I think the skeletons and pumpkins are my favorite.

Anonymous said...

wow the cake is just stunning but i love those sugared cookies!! beautiful...

Ann (Miss Sweetstory) said...

So much talent in one family! Well done!

Jacque said...

Before I saw the outcome, I was thinking to myself, oh yea, she is definitely winning the office contest. Looks like cake decorating talent runs in the family! :)

a quiet life said...

your cake and cookies are all fabulous!

Anonymous said...

These are fantastic ... your sister is a natural!

~Amber~ said...

First of all that cake you sister made is amazing! Your cookies are probably the best decorated sugar cookies I have ever seen. What amazing talent from both of you.

Custom Cakes by Brenda said...

Great Job for your sis! And your cookies look fabulous:)

Heather said...

Hey Sharon, I have handed my Excellant Blog award from Jacque over to you...www.cakeskidsandalens.blogspot.com for the sheer fact that you ARE excellant!

Lori said...

Cool pumpkin that your friend made and I love your cookies too!

I always want to make sugar cut outs but the problem is that I cant stop eating them.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Barbara did an incredible job (and yes, she makes me look like I'm still taking Wilton's 1 Class! :) Those cookies are incredible. So, when are you going to do a "Show & Tell" on those? Can't wait, gal!

SharonG said...

Barbara, did an outstanding job!! She's also very lucky to have a wonderful sister that is an amazing teacher! She did a blue ribbon job on her 1st. cake! Love your cookies, flawless as with all your baked and decorated goodies. Congrats Barbara! I love the look on the web cookies. Keep rocking Sharon!

Anonymous said...

Congradulations Barb! It deserved a first place. Your halloween cookies also came out great Sharon!!! Thanks for sharing your great pictures!

Ruth said...

Wow just wow, The cakes and cookies are amazing. You both are baking rockstars!

Snooky doodle said...

wow these all look great but the pumpkin cake is so so nice :-)you re so talented.

Heidi said...

Beautiful cake and cookies. Love it! I wish I could make cookies that beautiful.

Anonymous said...

What a cute pumpkin and cookies :), that was sweet of you to teach your sister; she did a fantastic job!